Friday, August 21, 2009

Why We Put the "Die" in "Diet"

Dieting sucks.

There's no point in trying to deny it. It involves hunger, sweat (and the smell that comes with it), and tears. Toss in a little bit of blood, a whole lot of telling yourself "no," and that strange low-calorie substitute that can claim fame neither as butter nor as margarine... and you've got yourself a regular fun fest. Even this afternoon, it was really hard to go for that chicken salad when I wanted that mushroom burger. And I love ranch dressing. Fries, chicken, salad, pizza. You name it, I put ranch on it. Well, I did, anyway.

Let us all stand in a moment of silence as we respectfully mourn the passing of an age.

It's really easy to get caught up in all the things I can't have. Goodbye, chocolate. Au revoir, ice cream. Sayonnara, all things pastry. Helloooo, carrot sticks.

At least, that's how I always thought of it before, and I think that's a lot of the reason it failed. Now I confess, I've lost my first six pounds, and it hasn't been on my own. I decided to go through Weight Watchers. No, this isn't a plug -- unless someone from the company is willing to pay to make it one. (It's the student loans, they make me desperate.) What I like, though, is that it's making me do all the work, but educating me in how to do it. Because I finally realize a profound truth.

I am a nutrition and fitness moron.

It isn't a put-down, it's just a simple fact. So why try to lose weight on my own? It's like asking me to do surgery on someone when I only vaguely know what a scalpel is. It doesn't work, and it makes a mess. In the end, I suffer and get discouraged, thinking that I'm a failure when really I just didn't know what I was doing. This isn't to say that you should trust everything you read. (After all, what else made Atkins so successful but people just taking others at their word?) But I am succeeding thus far because I am taking the opportunity to educate myself and re-evaluate my ideas of what a diet really is. And my not-so-riveting conclusion is this: dieting sucks.

Thus I end exactly where I began, but here there's a new twist: dieting doesn't do any good! All it does is teach you that health is a hellish temporary state where you deny yourself everything you want in punishment for being fat until you shed the pounds -- at which point you stop and say "okay! Good enough!"

Which is sort of like cleaning your house once every five years when you can't take it anymore.

In my case, as I've said before, it requires a full-on perspective change. I don't think in terms of "I can't have this." If I do that, it becomes sort of like swearing to Tom Sawyer. He wanted to more and more when he wasn't allowed to. But when he could, it wasn't so important anymore. If I try to deny myself something, I'm setting myself up to splurge and overeat. Instead, I'm going for the "eat smart" approach. The one that says "if I'm craving ice cream, I can find something smart and measure out a half cup." (Dreyer's sugar-free slow-churned is fabulous, for example.) Or "I'm hungry. But if I don't eat, I'll overeat later. So I'll have something small and filling now. Like fruit." (The more water content something has, the more filling it is.) So I'm actually making changes that are positive for my body in the long run (as opposed to losing weight whatever it takes), and I'm a hell of a lot less moody doing it.

In fact... I actually feel good.

5 comments:

  1. Preach it sister! SO true, especially about the denying little things that you love. Though I will admit that goldfish crackers, and swedish fish are still my downfall when it comes to snacks. One is NEVER enough.... Maybe it's good that they don't have them in this country. Hmmmmmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I think this is your best post yet! I am more convinced than ever that you are going to conquer this mountian, Jami. Forever! You have a great attitude - keep it up.

    And congrats on your first 6 lbs down! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's probably for the best when things aren't available at all. I'm now able to go without Squirt because I lived in areas/counties where it wasn't available.

    And thanks, Jess. I think I can do this too, given enough time and effort. My clothes are already fitting better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jami,
    You can totally plug my blog in on yours!
    I'm doing the weight watchers thing as well. It's been really good as long as I've been following it, and it will make you an expert on nutrition. It's good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a guest speaker in church Sunday, He said the Word from the Lord to us was sorta like a slogan..."There's more to come". The scripture he used was when Jesus began to teach in parables, Matthew 13:3-9. Vs.#3 "Behold, a sower went out to sow." It goes on to talk about the different grounds the seeds fell on. Then our speaker compared the soil to our hearts the different places: The wayside, (this being areas of our hearts that have been walked on/trampled by others), Stony ground, (place of little soil), The thorny ground, (seed choked by cares of this world and the good ground which yeilded a hundred, sixty, or 30 fold. I do have a point!

    The grounds unfruitful ground is the areas of our lives that we have not or will not allow the Lord in to help us plow. Places of barrenness and he (the speaker) called us to think about our lives and areas that bear unfruitfulness. He called us to yeild the field to the Lord and let Him have His way. He said there is more that God wants to do through you but you have to give up the area's you've held on to because it feels safe. I know there is more that God wants to do with my life, but my self medication with food hinders growth, I can not be all that I was designed to be, I can not do all I was meant to do until I plow this unfirtile field. Regardless of difficulty, regardless of pain, I want every part of my heart to be fruitful and I know there is more to come. Thank you for being one of the voices that helps me plow this stoney ground...change the course of my life.

    ReplyDelete